Friday, December 12, 2008

a stressed out "almost" birthday boy


Ok..so we are having a little problem at out house. Sawyer's birthday is on December 16. Less than a week away and he wants no part of it! What??????????? What little kid can't wait for their birthday to come? So...here's the deal. Last year we took him for his 4 year check up and he asked the doctor if he had to get shots. The doctor and nurses thought they were giving him the best news ever..." NO, you don't have to get shots until you turn 5!" YAY

Well, thanks to that...Sawyer has stressed about shots for an ENTIRE YEAR! At least once a month he has told me about how he never wants to turn 5 and that he is never going to have a birthday. On several occasion he has been in tears! Now that we are down to a couple of days, it has gotten worse. Every time I mention his birthday he groans.

So, I told him that it was fine if he didn't want a birthday...I would just take all of his presents back....he replied," that's fine I will buy my own things." I then said.."you don't have any money." to which her replied..."I will just go and buy some money!" I then told him that you can't buy money. and he said, "remember what I told you?...I know everything!" Good to know...that saves me a lot of time in teaching you! haha

Needless to say, when we go to the doctor for this years check-up...nobody better mention anything about shots!

9 comments:

Jennifer Pelo Rawlings said...

Just tell the nurse to tell the doctor not to say anything about it. He doesn't have to have them until school starts. Then just spring it on him later in the summer. "Let's go for a ride Sawyer." "Where are we going?" "Someplace where you are going to get candy and a sticker. It's super fun." He'll never know what hit him.

Jen Morrison said...

HAHA Jen's comment cracked me up. I tried the very thing with Carter to get him his flu shot. Picked him up for school and told him we were going for a ride. He kept guessing where we were going and finally at the freeway when he guessed the doctor I couldn't lie. So then he cried the whole way there! Didn't cry during the shot at all but did cry the whole way there. What gives?! Sorry it's put such a damper on the birthday. Maybe wait an extra month on the shots? So sorry!

Kalli Ko said...

uh like mother like son...

i remember a certain "incident" when someone else had to get shots and had a real problem with it.

all i have to say is the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, no?

Amber Baker said...

I love Jen--she's so funny! Yeah, I say get it over, take him when he;s least expecting it and have them do it FIRST thing. Don't wait another year stressing out about it.

Sarah said...

In response to Kalli...you suck! Now I should totally post that story. My mom said the same thing! hahaha
Thanks for all the advice. I made the appointment for the spring...but he still knows it's going to happen eventually! Poor guy.

Colleen said...

Aw, poor little guy. All that stressing and you know he's going to get it over with and be like, "Hey, that wasn't THAT bad." I hope he can still have SOME fun on his b-day.

Unknown said...

You have weird children, who remember EVERYTHING!! ;) And it's not just one shot, it's 4! Maybe five, I lost count after two and Isaac said, "Mom, this is making me SO MAD!"

The Johnson Family said...

That is hysterical! My body builder daughter Bailey has the same problem. Last time she had to get a shot, I pinned her down and despite all my weight and strength (a body builder myself...obviously right?) any way, she totally got free from me and swatted at the nurses hand and broke the needle off in her butt cheek!!!! It was awful!
That is okay Sawyer!!

Sarah said...

Oh my gosh, Devyn...that is hilarious! It's been a long day and I needed a good laugh! Thanks